|Defunct Coasters||Updated: March 28, 2011|
Columbia Gardens, Butte, MT
Council Crest, Portland, OR
Hastings park, Vancouver, BC
julia davis fun depot, boise, id
Lotus Isle, Portland, OR
Luna Park, Seattle, WA
Playland, Coeur d'Alene, ID
Playland, Seattle, WA
puyallup fair, puyallup, wa
Santafair, federal way, wa
Stanley Park , Vancouver, BC
White City, Bellingham, Wa
White City, Seattle, WA
White City, Vancouver, bc
Pictured above is Happyland's Giant Dipper coaster. Happlyand, located at Hastings Park, offered an assortment of rides including two roller coasters, a Shoot-The-Chutes, and a Traver Missouri Mule ride. Of the two coasters were, Baby Dipper and the Giant Dipper (pictured above).
According to the Vancouver City Archives, Happyland opened in 1926. And was built as a means to provide employment to the youth living on the east end of Hastings Park and to help bring more entertainment to a growing rural area. New permanent rides were added. The Giant Dipper replaced Hastings Park's 1915 Coaster (Dip The Dips) in 1925. The Dipper was designed by Fred Church who was a coaster designer in southern California. Soon all the other rides filled up the east side of the Exhibtion grounds. The Shoot-The-Chutes was said to have been one of the most popular rides which usually consisted of long lines of thrill seekers.
In 1929 a new entrance was added to the fairgrounds on the southwest side. Originally the main and only entrance was located on the northside. Now locals had a way to gain easier access to the grounds.
In 1947, the old Exhibition became officially known as the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) and brought in droves of excited people for the new fair season. The late 1940's brought steady growth with more exhibits, attractions and unsual and exciting entertainment to draw more fair patrons each year.
During this time period, not everything was able to maintain its measure of value. Unfortunately, in 1947 the Giant Dipper had to be torn down so that the race track could be enlarged. The coaster's demise, did not affect the operation of Happyland's other rides, but this did not comfort some fans who were heart broken and pleaded to have it saved. In 1957, the PNE wanted to relocate the amusement park to help bring about modernization. Thus, Happyland mets its final demise.
Fortunately, a part of the Giant Dipper continues to live on today. Even though the coaster wasn't salvaged the trains were. In 1949 Robert Bollinger (then owner of the Puyallup coaster) purchased the trains. Walker LeRoy redesigned them to fit on a newly reconstructed, wooden roller coaster, at the Western Washington Fairgrounds in Puyallup, WA. The trains are still operating and are the last running Prior & Church open benched stock in existence today. Funtastic Traveling Shows has maintained the coaster and kept the trains in good running condition through the refurbishing process.
Today Playland operates across the PNE grounds where Happyland used to be located. The park opened in 1958 and has since then become a well loved treasure for locals and tourists world wide. In fact, on June 17, the city celebrated the wooden Coaster's 50th birthday that included free rides on Coaster, a big birthday cake, a dedication to Nina Fraley (Coaster's designer Carl Phare's daughter), and a commemoration plaque presented to ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) for their support of Coaster's preservation.
|Home | Parks and Coasters | Defunct Coasters | Gallery | Resources | Links | Contact|
|© Copyright 2003-2011, Lisa Zigweid. All Rights Reserved.|