|Defunct Coasters||Updated: March 28, 2011|
Columbia Gardens, Butte, MT
Council Crest, Portland, OR
Hastings park, Vancouver, BC
julia davis fun depot, boise, id
Lotus Isle, Portland, OR
Luna Park, Seattle, WA
Playland, Coeur d'Alene, ID
Playland, Seattle, WA
puyallup fair, puyallup, wa
Santafair, federal way, wa
Stanley Park , Vancouver, BC
White City, Bellingham, Wa
White City, Seattle, WA
White City, Vancouver, bc
Council Crest, "The Dreamland of the Northwest", was a beautiful amusement park that was located on the Southwest side of Portland, OR. Above are pictures of the LA Scenic Railway coaster that was designed by La Marcus Adna Thompson who was known as the "Father of the Gravity Ride," inventor of the American roller coaster.
Besides the roller coaster, other attractions at the park consisted of a Scenic Paddleboat, Observation Tower, Columbia Gorge Riverboat, Trip Up The Columbia Canal Boat, Dance Pavilion, Ferris Wheel, Carousel, and Miniature Railway. In 1925 a Fun House was added to the park. Admission to this "Pleasure Palace" cost adults 25 cents and children 10 cents to enjoy an assortment of amusements such as a Giant Slide, Barrel of Fun, Ocean Waves, and a Joy Wheel.
Council Crest was also considered the highest point in Portland above sea level at about 1073 feet. People from the Portland area could visit this lovely park by trolley or car. There was no admission or parking fee which seemed to be common with most Northwest parks.
After a couple of decades, Council Crest Amusement Park closed on Labor Day in 1929. The onset of the Depression and financial losses of the park encouraged this decision.
What remains of Council Crest are two trolley cars that originally ran lines from Portland to Council Crest in the 1920's. Built in 1904, both cars (503, 506) came from a series of 10 cars . These two can be found at The , in Brooks, Oregon.
You can also ride almost exact replicas of four of the trolleys (cars 511-514) in downtown Portland on Sundays between Lloyd Center and 11th Ave. for a donation fee. In 1991, The received these replicas and have made it possible for locals and tourists to enjoy these and help bring a part of history back to life.
|Home | Parks and Coasters | Defunct Coasters | Gallery | Resources | Links | Contact|
|© Copyright 2003-2011, Lisa Zigweid. All Rights Reserved.|